Your image is often your first impression. What does it say about you? About your business? There are so many elements you can use to create a kick butt image for your brand, whether it is for personal or professional use. Some of the key elements I use with clients are body language and expression. Learn about them here and take better photos!
Body Language. How are you standing, posed, how is the image cropped? What angle are your shoulders, hips in relation to the camera? First, hand the phone camera over to someone. Your arm has limited range, you’ll get a better angle if someone else takes the image. Think about how you want to come across: aggressive, confident, or powerful?
- Crossed arms will give a more aggressive/assertive vibe.
- Arms at the side will be more inviting, confident posture
- Hands on the hips is a power pose, and expresses power, confidence, and assertiveness without being aggressive.
Expression. This will always dominate over all else. Getting your intention to show through your expression is not always easy. Here are some tips, focusing on micro expressions. Know what your intention is, and use the best expression for that intention.
- Beware of smirks, they convey ‘contempt’ or ‘disgust’ micro expression
- Men: research has the greatest ‘know-like-trust’ factor is with a straight face or a full smile (not a half smile). Women can get away with small smiles, aka baby smile, and big full face smiles.
- No smile, relaxed expression. This can either show a serious intention, or a calm, relaxed.
- These are the windows to the INTENTION. Remember to engage your eyes. We all have the ability to warm up, lighten up, and/or ‘smile’ with the eyes. Practice in the mirror, and you’ll eventually get it, if you don’t immediately.
Now merge your body language and your expression, have someone take your photo, and see how you do. Keep practicing!
Interested in having me take your photo? Click here for a $100 gift voucher for a headshot session with me and see how I work with these elements.